Friday, September 5, 2014

The Cancer Returns

It's been so long since I've written anything substantial here that I almost forget how to do it.

I guess I'll get straight to the point.

It appears that my lymphoma has relapsed, and I am going to have a tougher fight ahead of me than last time.

Shit.

About four weeks ago, I got a bit of a chest-cough, which turned into a cold that eventually subsided. The cough stuck around however, and when I exercised a wheeze began to present itself in my breathing, so after a couple weeks I went to see my family doctor about it. He put me on antibiotics, gave me Alvesco (a corticosteroid inhaler) and sent me for a chest x-ray because of my history with lymphoma.

Unfortunately, the x-ray results came back showing an approximately 8x10 cm mass in the same location as the tumour I had previously dealt with. The news was pretty unexpected for me, because I was coming up to two years in remission and I had been so healthy! Even though I had a 50% chance of relapsing, I guess I just thought that it was over and done with.

I went for blood work twice last week. The first test was normal and the second one, almost a week later, showed declining WBC and Neutrophil counts, as well as an increasing Lactate Dehydrogenase count - all signs that corroborate our worst fears.

After a week of stressing out, Kaitlin and I went to see my Oncologist at the BC Cancer Agency yesterday and he laid out the plan for us.

I will need a CT scan (which I did yesterday) and a PET scan (in Vancouver next week) to confirm that my lymphoma has relapsed, and then starting in two weeks from now I will begin to undergo chemotherapy again. I will likely require 3-4 rounds of chemo, which will last approximately 12 weeks. It will be different drugs than last time, but I think the side effects are essentially the same. Following that, I will require one round of high-dose chemo and a stem cell transplant which is a risky and complicated procedure that will put me in reverse isolation for several weeks - or longer - at Vancouver General Hospital.

Other than this whole thing being an extremely significant emotional burden on Kaitlin and me, it also means that I will be unable to teach for most - or all - of this year. These procedures will completely destroy my immune system, so catching any sort of common colds or flus would be a fast track to the emergency room.

It's hard to let something like that sink in.

We don't really know much more than this right now. Although I need to wait for my CT and PET scan results before everything gets started, as my oncologist said "if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck..." (how is that supposed to end... "it's your lymphoma"...?)

I will write another post when I know more.

Thanks for reading,
Christopher


PLEASE NOTE: If you have hired me to DJ your wedding (or other event) next year, I am still planning to do it. If you were thinking about hiring me but haven't yet, please do! I would only advise against booking me if your event is before March, 2015.

3 comments:

  1. Chris thank you for sharing your joy and your pain. I have such love and admiration for you. Both you and Kaitlin will be in my prayers and I'm confident your spirit and resiliency will carry you through again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family will be praying for you. God Bless you!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you, Kaitlin and your families. I hope you come through this and don't have to go through all of this ever again. Stay strong together.

    ReplyDelete