Monday, October 20, 2014

Chemo Postponed... Again!

Kaitlin and I were on our way to the cancer agency this morning for my second cycle of chemo when one of the pharmacists called to tell me that she was looking at my blood work from yesterday and my neutrophils were still too low to have chemo; in fact, they were lower than last week - 0.45. I talked to my oncologist and he said that since my counts were evidently still going down, it would be risky to do chemo this week because it would increase the chance of life-threatening infections.

Just like last time, this means that I will need to start taking Neupogen each time I have chemotherapy. Oh well... I'm a pro at subcutaneous injections now.

The good news is that this part of my treatment (GDP-R chemo) is not the curative part, so needing to postpone it a couple times will (hopefully) not make a difference to the outcome. The main purpose of the chemo I am doing right now (errr... not doing...) is to shrink my tumour down to a point where the High Dose Chemotherapy and Stem Cell Transplant will be effective.

Another good thing is that this means I will be feeling good for the Light the Night Walk next weekend, but as I mentioned in my last post, the frustrating thing is my whole life is based around my chemo treatments, so when they change everything has to change... and not always for the better!

I am currently on the ferry heading to Vancouver. I will be meeting the stem cell doctor tomorrow so I will probably do another blog post this week once I have more information about that part of my treatment.

Here's a couple nice pictures of Kaitlin and me at the pumpkin patch this past weekend:


Thanks for reading,
Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment